728 x 90

Iran’s confused remarks following the IRGC missile attack into Iraq

Tehran's attack on US bases in Iraq-Kirkuk
Tehran's attack on US bases in Iraq-Kirkuk

Reporting by PMOI/MEK

Iran, January 9, 2020—Following the killing of former Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) Quds Force chief Qasem Soleimani and the Iranian regime’s missile attack targeting military bases in Iraq where U.S. forces are stationed, the regime’s leadership officials in Tehran are extremely concerned about the future and making contradictory remarks.

Fear of Iranian opposition

In his latest remarks on Wednesday, January 8, Iranian regime Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei even lashed out at the Iranian opposition People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) currently stationed in Albania and referred to a visit by former U.S. national security advisor General James Jones to Ashraf 3, the PMOI site near Tirana, the Albanian capital. Khamenei was obviously extremely angry over the MEK’s role in the November uprising and included opinion in his remarks about a completely different subject.

 

 

“A few days prior to the [November uprising], the issue about gasoline, in a European country, a small but very evil country in Europe, an American figure gathered with a number of Iranians, and they started plotting against the Islamic republic. Their plan was played out in what we witnessed a few days later in the gasoline [protests]. People were angry about the gasoline issue. A number of people came out in the name of protests, and when others joined their ranks, while their numbers were very low, these deceived people came out with a plot and carried out that very plan; to destroy and torch government centers, popular sites and start a war. This was a premeditated plot. And when I say a few days prior to these events, they were re-checking their plans because they had previously blue-printed their measures, preparing their people,” Khamenei said.

Albanian President Ilir Meta responded to Khamenei’s remarks in strong fashion. “The missiles fired by Iran towards two Iraqi military bases that housed the US military and coalition personnel are a provocative act with dangerous consequences for the region and its stability. Iran must respect international agreements, international laws and its obligations in the interest of peace.

“Albania is not an evil country but a democratic country that has suffered from an evil dictatorship unparalleled in its kind therefore considers human rights sacred.

“Since two decades Albania remains firm in its commitments alongside the US and NATO countries in the fight against international terrorism and any act that endangers world stability and peace,” Albanian President Ilir Mata emphasized.

 

 

Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama also lashed out at Khamenei’s remarks. “We have taken action that is the honor of Albania and in line with Albanian tradition. This has been an indisputable agreement with the U.S. to welcome and open our doors to a group of people whose lives are in danger. We have lived under dictatorships and know very well how dictators act how they control everything to destroy their dissidents across the globe,” Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama highlighted.

Former Albanian Prime Minister, and current Minister of Diaspora in Albanian government, Pandeli Majko said, “There is no threat for our country with the presence of three thousand members of the Iranian opposition in Albania.”

Rouhani praises IRGC

The so-called “moderate” regime President Hassan Rouhani expressed his utter gratitude to the IRGC for carrying the missile strike into targets inside Iraq, adding the U.S. should expect the main response from regional nations. All the while, Rouhani quickly stepped back from his hollow threats and said, “If another country takes action, the Americans should not be saying these are Iran’s proxy forces. We don’t have proxy forces. [Iraq’s] Hashd al-Shaabi (PMF), the Lebanese Hezbollah and the [Houthis] in Yemen do not get their orders from us.”

Terrified of any response from the U.S., the mullahs’ Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif quickly claimed Tehran is willing to talk. “In our session, we showed that while the U.S. seeks war and violence, we are in fact seeking talks in the region,” he said. Zarif’s requests for talks are made while the U.S. has for the first time denied him a visa to New York.

Ali Rabie, spokesman of Rouhani’s cabinet, praised the IRGC for implementing a “precise operation” regarding the recent missile attack and yet quickly said, “We have never sought war!... If they respond, we will show an even stronger reaction!”