Reporting by PMOI/MEK
Iran, January 8, 2020—Following the killing of Qasem Soleimani by the United States military in Iraq, the Iranian regime responded in the early morning hours of Wednesday, January 8, with the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) launching ballistic missiles targeting two U.S. bases in Iraq.
The IRGC missiles were fired in the direction of the Ain Al-Assad Air Base and another military facility in Erbil, both housing U.S. forces. These attacks left no casualties for the U.S. or Iraqi military, according to their officials. Ten missiles were aiming to target the Ain Al-Assad Air Base and another five were launched targeting the Erbil facility.
Despite the Iranian regime's saber-rattling, the IRGC's very weak response to the killing of Quds Force chief Qasem Soleimani involved firing missiles targeting U.S. bases in Ain al-Assad & Erbil, Iraq, that left no casualties.#Iran#Iraq pic.twitter.com/juZ5hgi5jN— People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) (@Mojahedineng) 8 January 2020
Fox News reported the missiles were surface-to-surface ballistic missiles and the IRGC had claimed responsibility for the attack. Shortly after the attack U.S. President Donald Trump was briefed by his national security team and sent a message in response to the attack.
“All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well-equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning,” he said.
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 8 January 2020
Al Hadath TV reported two missiles landed near the Ain al-Assad air base and struck civilian homes. The missiles targeting Erbil reportedly landed near the U.S. Consulate in this city.
Fox News reported it is strange Iran launched this attack from inside Iran while some officials expected attacks from proxy forces in Iraq. The United States has five thousand troops in the region the U.S. air power available is quite significant, according to Fox News.
The Pentagon issued a statement saying the missiles were fired from inside Iran and initial damage assessment is underway. All bases were on high alert and the U.S. is evaluating the proper response to take the necessary action to protect U.S. forces and allies.
CNN reported the missiles fired by Iran hit areas of the Iraqis’ Ain al-Assad air base where no U.S. forces were stationed.
The attack came at a price for Iran’s regime. The European Union Ambassador to Iraq said Tehran violated Iraqi sovereignty by firing missile into Iraq.
Pentagon official told a CNN correspondent many U.S. military leaders think the Iranian regime deliberately chose targets that would not result in loss of life especially U.S. life: “Deliberate targets, minimum damage, maximum warning/effect.”
Pentagon official tells me that many US military leaders think Iran deliberately chose targets that would NOT result in loss of life especially US life: “Deliberate targets, minimum damage, maximum warning/effect.”— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) 8 January 2020
All said and done, this attack has turned out to be humiliating for the mullahs’ regime.