728 x 90

Iran: Municipal workers, others hold protest rallies demanding delayed paychecks

Municipal workers of Aghajari, a city in southwest Iran, protesting for the second day—August 31, 2020
Municipal workers of Aghajari, a city in southwest Iran, protesting for the second day—August 31, 2020

Reporting by PMOI/MEK

Iran, September 2, 2020—On Wednesday, September 2, municipality workers in the city of Aghajari, southwest Iran, gathered for third consecutive day, protesting the officials’ refusal to deliver on their paychecks for two months.

 

Popular reports indicate that waste containers in the city neighborhoods are full, and in some cases, spread out across streets.

 

The workers are also demanding their salaries that the previous municipal contractor refused to provide. These delayed paychecks are from the year 2018 and the protesting workers have not received any response from the officials, according to a Tuesday reported wired by the state-run Khorna news agency.

Neyshabur Communications Department, northeast Iran

Neyshabur Communications Department, northeast Iran

On Monday, August 31, a group of contract workers in the city of Neyshabur, western Iran, stopped working to protest their temporary employment contracts and delayed paychecks.

Gathering at their workplace, the striking workers are demanding permanent contracts as well as their delayed August wages.

Holding protesting rallies in front of various government institutions since last week despite the widespread coronavirus pandemic in this city, these workers are demanding their problems be addressed.

Kangavar silo workers protesting in Kermanshah, western Iran—September 1, 2020

Kangavar silo workers protesting in Kermanshah, western Iran—September 1, 2020

On Tuesday, September 1, silo workers in the city of Kangavar, western Iran, gathered in front of the local governor's office protesting the transfer of the city's silo to the private sector.

Kangavar’s silo was priced at about $6.06 to $6.5 million in 2018. In 2020, it was handed over to the private sector based on a massive discount of less than one tenth of the actual value.

The buyer of this silo has paid only 15% of the amount set for the transfer and has six years to pay the remaining 85%!

It is worth noting that with the contract coming to an end, local workers of Kangavar silo are now unemployed and non-locals will fill their positions.

Protesting workers of the Damash mineral water factory in Rudbar, northern Iran—September 1, 2020

Protesting workers of the Damash mineral water factory in Rudbar, northern Iran—September 1, 2020

Damash mineral water factory workers in the city of Rudbar, northern Iran, held a protest rally in front of the regime governor's office in this city on Tuesday, demanding their salaries that have been delayed for several months and insurance premium payments, according to the semi-official ILNA news agency

Students of Kerman Medical Sciences University holding a protest rally—August 31, 2020

Students of Kerman Medical Sciences University holding a protest rally—August 31, 2020

On Monday, August 31, a group of students in Kerman University of Medical Sciences rallied in protest to authorities holding the basic science exams.

 

Students of Boroujerd University holding a protest rally

Students of Boroujerd University holding a protest rally

Students at Mashhad University of Medical Sciences and students of Boroujerd University also protested the September exams.

Australian Council of Trade Unions of New South Wales issues statement in support of Iranian workers on strike—August 30, 2020

Australian Council of Trade Unions of New South Wales issues statement in support of Iranian workers on strike—August 30, 2020

As workers of Iran’s oil, gas and petrochemical industry continue their strikes, the Australian Council of Trade Unions of New South Wales, an umbrella organization of 48 unions with more than 600,000 workers, issued a statement August 30 announcing their support of these Iranian workers.

“We express our deep concern about the situation of the striking workers in Iran, especially refinery workers. We demand the payment of all delayed paychecks, an immediate end to the dismissal and threats of the workers, and the unconditional release of all imprisoned workers in Iran,” the statement reads in part.