Reporting by PMOI/MEK
Iran, March 21, 2020—More than 8,800 people have died to the coronavirus in 201 cities throughout Iran, according to the Iranian opposition People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK). These stats are based on reports collected by the PMOI/MEK network inside Iran as of Saturday afternoon local time, March 21. According to numerous reports citing sources in hospitals, local officials and the main cemetery in Qom, the number of people who have died in this province is certainly far more than 1,300. Various provinces across Iran are reporting horrifying death tolls, such as 900 in Gilan, 420 in Golestan, 310 in Khuzestan, 200 in Markazi (Central), 180 in Kurdistan, 60 in Kerman and etc.
Unfortunately, reports from Qom indicate 60 to 70 people dying of COVID-19 in this province daily. Morgues and corpse washing centers no longer have the capacity to accept more dead bodies. As a result, officials in Qom are requesting some of their dead to be buried in Tehran’s Behesht-e Zahra cemetery. However, officials in this cemetery have turned down their requests due to their own high number of deaths.
Over 8,800 people across 201 cities in Iran are dead of coronavirus, per Iranian opposition PMOI/MEK.— People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) (@Mojahedineng) March 21, 2020
-More than 1,300 dead in Qom, 60 to 70 dying daily
-At least 1,250 coronavirus victims buried in Tehran's Behesht-e Zahra cemetery#Iran#COVIDー19https://t.co/kyO0pPvNCH
At least 1,250 coronavirus victims have been buried in Behesht-e Zahra cemetery as of March 18. Many the COVID-19 victims have been buried under different pretexts in this cemetery. Several morgue employees, including five women who worked in sections that prepared the corpses of non-coronavirus victims, have been infected with the virus. More than 100 COVID-19 victims are transferred to Behesht-e Zahra each day. Recently officials have signed a contract to prepare 10,000 new graves at this site.
While governments of various countries across the globe are allocating paychecks for their citizens during the coronavirus pandemic to provide for their needs so they don’t go to work, Iranian regime President Hassan Rouhani said in despicable remarks on Saturday, March 21, “[Our enemies] are conspiring to shut down all work and economic activities in Iran. We must not allow them to realize this objective. We must all work and continue our activities, but of course, based on hygiene protocols,” he said. However, to balance his remarks Rouhani called on the Iranian people to “remain at home for 10-15 days; don’t go on vacation; be careful because this virus is not here for the next two or three months and, God willing, if we are careful, our conditions will change by April 1.”
It is worth noting that Rouhani had previously said the COVID-19 epidemic in Iran would come to an end by February 29 and even recently claimed the country has surpassed its peak. Both accounts turned out to be lies.
On the other hand, a deputy Health Minister said, “If we abide by hygiene protocols, we will be rid of this illness by June 20… The country’s economic, social and cultural status does not allow us to impose city quarantines.”
Iranian opposition President Maryam Rajavi, head of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), emphasized that the Iranian people’s main dilemma in confronting coronavirus is a medieval and incompetent dictatorship that has either plundered the country’s riches and assets, or used these funds to fuel its domestic crackdown, terrorism and warmongering, and nuclear and ballistic missile initiatives. A portion of the Iranian people’s stolen assets—currently controlled by Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) cartels or other entities linked directly to Iranian regime Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei—is enough to provide for the expenses needed to confront COVID-19, provide for the paychecks of workers, nurses, teachers, and other employees. In such a scenario, people would not be forced to go to work each day in their desperate effort to make ends meet.