Orient Net, February 12, 2018-- Around 215 Russians may have been killed earlier this week by the US-led Coalition and US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Syria’s Deir Ezzor, based on information shared on Russian social media, according to The Defense Post report.
The report confirms that a February 10 post on Russian social networking service VKontakte says 253 Russians were sent into a fight near Deir Ezzor, and 196 of them died in the attack. The force consisted of Russian Special Operations Forces alongside Russians employed by private military contractor PMC Wagner, equipped with artillery and tanks.
Mark Feygin, a Russian lawyer and politician who served as a deputy of the State Duma in 1994-1995, tweeted on Saturday that, according to an individual in touch with PMC Wagner, the number of contractors who died east of the Euphrates river has reached 215.
However, Roman Saponkov, a Russian reporter in Syria, said that PMC Wagner lost 20-25 fighters, and questioned the veracity of information shared about the incident.