728 x 90

Radovan Karadzic found guilty of genocide, sentenced to 40 years

-

 -
-

Radovan Karadzic, former leader of the breakaway Serb Republic in Bosnia, was sentenced Thursday to 40 years in prison after being found responsible for genocide and nine other counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity in the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
The charge of genocide related to the massacre of Bosnian Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica in July 1995, the worst mass killing in Europe since World War II.
Karadzic was found not guilty on one count of genocide.
Radovan Karadzic is criminally responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity for attacks on civilians in Sarajevo during the Bosnian conflict, the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia found Thursday.
Karadzic was "consistently informed" about Bosnian Serb forces targeting civilians in Sarajevo, presiding judge O-Gwon Kwok said Thursday as he delivered part of a long, complex verdict on 11 counts of war crimes relating to the Bosnian conflict from 1992 to 1995.
The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia does not find evidence of "genocidal intent" on the part of Serbian forces during the war in Bosnia, the tribunal’s presiding judge, O-Gon Kwon, said Thursday while delivering a lengthy reading of verdicts in the war crimes trial of Radovan Karadzic, former leader of the breakaway Serb Republic in Bosnia.
The judge at the tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands, is delivering verdicts on 11 charges -- including genocide and crimes against humanity -- that Karadzic is accused of committing during the war from 1992 to 1995.

 

 

 

When Karadzic was found, he had grown a long beard and wore spectacles to diguise himself
Serb officials revealed that Karadzic had been hiding in plain sight -- working in a clinic in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia, under a false identity as a "healer."
He was extradited to the Hague to face charges where he entered a not guilty plea. He initially tried to represent himself which led to delays in his trial but eventually had a lawyer imposed on him.
Thursday’s verdict comes more than a year after the end of his trial in 2014. The 500-day trial included evidence from 586 witnesses and more than 11,000 exhibits.
Karadzic’s former army chief Ratko Mladic, who was arrested in 2012, is also facing charges of genocide and war crimes committed during the conflict. A judgment is expected in 2017.

 

Source: CNN, March 24, 2016

Selected

Latest News and Articles